[lug] Unhiding Ubuntu Accounts

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Nov 25 12:26:23 MST 2020

On 11/25/20 1:12 PM, D. Stimits wrote:
> Anyone know how to unhide a name so the X login shows it?

As far as I know you need a user entry in /etc/passwd and in
/etc/shadow. The /etc/passwd entry must have a valid shell assigned, and
a UID of 1000 or higher. Not 65535.

Make sure /etc/shadow has a valid unlocked password entry. If you can
log in as that user then it probably does.

Other than that, I would try using the tools to add a new user. If the
new user works I'd look for the differences between that one and your user.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil