[lug] Recovering from massive Ubuntu mess

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Nov 25 16:04:28 MST 2020

Hi. Hey, guess what?

Yet again, Ubuntu has really screwed me over. Short version is I used the
tasksel program to try to set up Samba. Big mistake.

Apparently, tasksel "helps" by running apt autoremove. The 1st thing in
it's display was a taskbar removing a bunch of stuff. I've been avoiding
doing autoremove, despite apt telling me I could do so, because of how
badly I got hosed the last time.

Anyways, lots of stuff is gone, and I'm trying to get things back. I dare
not reboot, because some things are working now only because they were
open, so I guess the reference count is keeping the files from being
deleted.

I'm at the point of trying get system-config-printer installed. It's a long
lineup of apt not installing, due to broken packages, but I think I'm at
the bottom now, but I can't go anywhere. The apt --force-yes is deprecated,
and it tell me to use one of the "allow" options, so here's what that looks
like. So, what can I do here?

# apt-get install --allow-change-held-packages gir1.2-freedesktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 gir1.2-freedesktop : Depends: gir1.2-glib-2.0 (= 1.64.0-2) but
1.64.1-1~ubuntu20.04.1 is to be installed E: Unable to correct problems,
you have held broken packages.

# dpkg --list gir1.2-glib-2.0

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad) ||/ Name
         Version                Architecture Description
ii  gir1.2-glib-2.0:amd64 1.64.1-1~ubuntu20.04.1 amd64        Introspection
data for GLib, GObject, Gio and GModule

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds