[lug] Wiki server suggestions for small organization

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 15:45:15 MST 2021

Hi Vince,
Nice hearing from you, I hope you're doing well.

Some uncommon suggestions follow:

How about github's wiki? I think it covers all the requirements you make.
The only point which I don't know is about the wiki being public facing or
private. I know github offers private repositories, and I assume private
wikis too -- but I suspect there are some strings attached and I have not
explored them.

Another option to consider, if as it sounds most of the information you
want to store is lists, rather than narrative, is Trello. Trello is not a
wiki, but I've been using it ever since one of my interns at NCAR dragged
me in (screaming and kicking because I did not want yet-another-account,
however it does support logging in with Google and other account
providers). Just to be clear, Trello does support narrative and text too,
but not extremely well -- for example you cannot easily make tables in the
text. However it supports lists and deadlines **extremely** well.

Last, but not least, Google docs/drive/spreadsheet. Pretty much everything
you would like to have, besides index pages (because they trust so much
their search function that there is no index and if you are not very well
organized you end up like in a messed up pile of paper in a file cabinet).

HTH, at least to think about your requirements, if not to find your
solution :-)
Cheers,
Davide