[lug] Wiki server suggestions for small organization

Vince Dean vincedean at frii.com
Thu Mar 11 15:06:11 MST 2021

Friends,

As a board member of a local non-profit, the Louisville Art Association,
I'm working on a project to better manage our information, both
paper-based and digital. I'm focused now on the digital part.  As
treasurer for the last two years, I was astonished by the complexity of
our operations. Finding the facts, policies and contact people was the
biggest challenge.

A few years ago, when I worked at NCAR, I had good luck using an
in-house Wiki server to share active information with team members. I'm
hoping to repeat that success with the Art Association. Considerations
include:

  * I don't want to own or maintain a public-facing web server. I'm
    Unix-savvy but not a proper system administrator.
  * The site should be easy for our team members to search and update.
    Artists are not known for their tech skills.
  * We would be willing to pay a modest fee, but cost is certainly an issue.
  * It might be convenient, but not necessary, to associate files with
    some of the Wiki pages, but the primary goal is to manage text-based
    information.
  * The scale is very small. We have about 150 members but only a few
    would actively use the Wiki. Not many simultaneous users.

I know that there are companies which will host a Wiki but I don't have
experience using any of them. I hope to find a solution which is simple,
easy to use and inexpensive. (The Holy Grail of software?)

I would welcome your suggestions on any aspect of this, especially if
you have a success story to share.

Many thanks,

Vince

--