[lug] Ubuntu 18.04 Route Metric

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri May 21 10:19:46 MDT 2021

> On 05/20/2021 9:25 AM Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
>

> On 5/20/21 8:34 AM, D. Stimits wrote:
> > Does anyone here know how to force my Ubuntu 18.04 to completely
> > leave out a default route for my private router? Or to permanently
> > set that route to a low priority, or to permanently set my public
> > interface to metric of 1?
>
> You must be using DHCP or this would not apply.
>
> Change your DHCP on your private network so that it does not apply any
> default route. Then each DHCP client will only have routes to the
> networks controlled by the private router.

It is DHCP, but I've never found a way to use DHCP without some other part of the system applying a random metric. Two interfaces, and if the private one enumerates first, then it has the higher priority (lower metric), but if the public one enumerates first, then it has the higher priority. I don't want any default route at all to the private network, but I cannot stop it from creating a default route. I also cannot set what the metric is, either from the router or from Ubuntu. I don't know how to change the DHCP on the private network (via router or Ubuntu) such that my system honors that metric or honors no default route. I was hoping that on the Ubuntu side that there is a way to keep using DHCP, but have no default route for it, or else a very low priority metric.

How would one normally change the DHCP client on the Ubuntu host PC so that it does not apply a default route? I have had no luck doing so.