[lug] Server video

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri May 21 13:13:40 MDT 2021

On Fri, 21 May 2021 20:34:30 +0200 (CEST)
mad.scientist.at.large at tutanota.com wrote:

> I have an old hp proliant dl585 G7.  Video is slow, is this just because
> the built in graphics are sad?  I've tried several linux distro's (MX
> currently).  Should I just look up how to install a video card besides
> the built in or is there something "clever" going on?

EOL on that box was June 2012. And a server-class machine wouldn't be
optimized for video playback anyway. But, I shouldn't assume you're
referring to watching movies or playing video games. However, certainly
video content of that type has gotten more demanding. Back before I got
this i3 machine, on-the-fly rescaling of HD movies was pretty much a no-go.

Without knowing what resolution, bitrate, framerate, etc. for the video
which is slow, it's difficult to speculate, but things such as the amount
of RAM will matter, and whether the Opteron has the capability of
offloading various video processing onto a graphics card.

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds