[lug] (Small) Network backup recommendations

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon May 24 08:44:32 MDT 2021

On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:24:22 -0600
Mike Witt wrote:

> Any recommendations for a small network backup device?
>
> I've got a mixture of two or three linux machines and one or two
> windows machines. If I add up all the USB sticks I'm currently backing
> them up to it only comes to about 5 TB.

"Only" 5TB? For that value of "small" a 4-bay Synology NAS would work well.
Assuming you aren't filling those sticks up, maybe 4 2TB drives in the NAS
would be plenty. I've seen articles about rolling your own NAS on a Pi or
other SBC, with external drives.

Do you have a budget in mind?

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds