[lug] (Small) Network backup recommendations

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon May 24 09:07:07 MDT 2021

There's always sticking an external drive on your router's USB port and
mounting it as a network share.

One thing to be aware of is that there have been many cases where a system
got hit with encryption malware... that also encrypted the backups since
they were mounted as a network share. (Or a directly attached external
drive.) That means you may want to do something like write to a shared
folder but have a cron job that copies the backup to an unshared area.

Bear