[lug] (Small) Network backup recommendations

Glenn Murray glenn.murray at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:30:13 MDT 2021

I've tried repeatedly to get USB drives, attached to my home router,
to back up computers on the network, but have never been able to
get reliable backups using rsync.

I've tried with Netgear and TP-Link routers using Western Digital USB
drives.  The Netgear router was unusably bad in recognizing the drives.
The TP-Link has a nice UI, but rsync gets bogged down and ends up
corrupting permissions on the target drive.
The corruption requiresreformatting the drive (Fat32 or NTFS of HDF+,
in my case; the routers don't support ext4.  The sources are hundreds
of GB, and the target is about 1.7 TB.

I've ended up carrying one of the drives to the computers and using
rsync directly off their USB jacks, which is solid.

Cheers,
Glenn