[lug] (Small) Network backup recommendations

Mike Witt msg2mw at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:15:43 MDT 2021

Well, I guess "small" is in the eye of the beholder. Actually, for me,
my needs are "average" :-)

> Do you have a budget in mind?

Well, I was getting ready to spend about $300 replacing all the misc
memory sticks with a couple of USB hard drives. But if I could get
something that would attach to the network instead. Maybe up to $500 or
so?

> 4-bay Synology NAS

Am I reading the spec correctly that this is a bit over $500 without
any actual disks?
Maybe the 2 bay version could be the type of thing I'm looking for.

Have you actually used this device? Everything I look at has a number
of reviews from people unable to get it to work very well. And there's
always the question of whether it's sort of expecting to work only with
Windows.