[lug] (Small) Network backup recommendations

Steve Webb bigwebb at gmail.com
Mon May 24 13:57:59 MDT 2021

I have a 2-drive QNAP NAS device that I got off Craigslist used for $100.
It's really nice.  Exports via SMB, NFS, MAC (whatever that is), etc.
Supports rsync (can run rsyncd on the NAS), will sync to AWS S3, is
glacier-aware.  Tons of other software can be loaded onto the NAS (security
cameras, swift, owncloud, squid proxy, phone pics backup, syncthing, time
machine, plex, ...) and I've got RAID1 going with 2x 2TB drives which cost
me like $30 each, so the whole setup was under $200.  QNAP still updates
their super-old NAS machines still, so I'm continuously getting updates for
it (security patches, new services, etc.).  It runs linux under the
covers.  For my plex server that has 15TB of storage, I just periodically
sync directly to AWS Glacier for shows I want to archive.  I think that I
pay like $5/mo for S3 and glacier fees.  I think that my scheme mostly
qualifies for a 3-2-1 backup scheme.  3 copies, 2 locations, 1 offsite.

- Steve W.

Sent from Steve Webb's gmail account.
http://badcheese.com / http://twitter.com/scumola