[lug] (Small) Network backup recommendations

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon May 24 17:18:12 MDT 2021

I really like that you added the part about backing up to S3 in a
discussion of NAS.

Just getting a NAS device is enough to store data, and having it setup
in a RAID 1 or multi-drive RAID 6 type thing is good for durability of
data but it's not a backup.

So anyone reading this thread, please consider that you should have a
real backup of some sort:

* Backup to a second NAS which itself is RAIDed for durability (i do
this)

* Backup to offline USB drives (i do this, multiple drives)

* Backup to a storage device not at your location (i do this, but not
periodically enough)

* Backup to the cloud - I don't do this yet, but probably will soon

--
Maxwell Spangler