[lug] 14 Characters

mad.scientist.at.large at tutanota.com mad.scientist.at.large at tutanota.com
Wed Jun 16 18:19:50 MDT 2021

--"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." Tommy Douglas

Jun 16, 2021, 17:22 by lists at maxwellspangler.com:

> This happen to anyone else?
>
> You're working away doing something and realize you don't have to think about it much anymore because things have changed so much?
>
> I'm just now renaming a folder and realizing I can't remember what characters are allowed or not allowed (other than obviously no '/' character on Linux, Unix, Mac, etc).
>
> That makes me realize when I started DOS was 8.3 character size limits, Unix (SVR3.2 for me) was 14 characters, Mac (HFS) was 31 characters.
>
> It prompts me to think: how on earth did we manage with such limitations, but I know.. we made it work. And now, in a lot of ways we're much more productive because challenges like this have been removed.
>
> I really do appreciate things we don't have to fight with anymore like naming files. For the most part.
>
> Wikipedia: Comparison of file systems <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems#Limits>
>
> --
> Maxwell Spangler
> Denver, Colorado, USA
> maxwellspangler.com <http://www.maxwellspangler.com>

It helped that we all had fewer files, and the OS had a lot fewer files.  Of course the computers were more limited so one created files less often and in smaller number.  What surprises me (I new in high school, the '80's), That one day I'd have what would have been called a super computer in the 80's,  The surprise was that I 'd be using it a lot as a media center.  Of course that was before the internet, or even the early Darpanet.