[lug] Comcast DHCP

Steve Sullivan steve.sullivan at mathcom.com
Wed Jun 23 13:08:10 MDT 2021

Hi, we moved from Boulder to Lafayette and now the Comcast
service sort of works, but it seems to have trouble with DHCP.

I've tried two setups.  Both are all ethernet, no wifi.

A.
comcast modem -- Ubuntu laptop
Works in Boulder and Lafayette.
Laptop ip address is 73.243.111.222

B.
comcast modem -- TPLink router -- Ubuntu laptop
Works in Boulder, fails in Lafayette.
Laptop ip address is 192.168.1.100.
Logging into the TPLink router, I find ...
    LAN:
      IP Address:	192.168.1.1
      Subnet Mask:	255.255.255.0
    WAN:
      IP Address:	0.0.0.0	 Dynamic IP
      Obtaining network parameters...
      Subnet Mask:	0.0.0.0
      Default Gateway:	0.0.0.0
      DNS Server:	0.0.0.0 , 0.0.0.0

Although setup B worked in Boulder, it doesn't in Lafayette.
I'm guessing the TPLink router never gets a DHCP address from the modem.

I've tried two different TPLink routers with the same results,
and have tested all the ethernet cables.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Sullivan      steve.sullivan at mathcom.com