[lug] Make caja file manager use LC_COLLATE?

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Jul 23 19:43:58 MDT 2021

This has been bugging me for a while. I finally did some looking around for
an answer, but alas...

I use the "caja" file manager. I don't know what collation sequence it's
using for sorting the display, and there doesn't seem to be a preference
for setting that. It is treating leading digits as numbers, and sorting
based on magnitude, rather than alphabetically. Since it's the only program
I use which does this, it's quite annoying.

I already have EXPORT LC_COLLATE=C in my .bashrc, and this has no effect,
even when launching caja from the command line.

I've tried:
  $ LC_COLLATE=C /usr/bin/caja
which doesn't do anything.

And, I've added the collate to /etc/default/locale, then rebooted.

I did find a forum post that stated, "For the record, Caja and Nemo both
also ignore locale settings", so possibly, there's no fix.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get caja to work?
--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds