[lug] Mystery SSH diagnostic lines

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Aug 1 10:34:12 MDT 2021

Pissed off anyone recently? Someone who could hack into your wife's
computer, run a network scan, and then try to ssh into different systems?

A bit more seriously (or not?) after I was compromised through a local
instance of Confluence that was visible from the internet (since I wanted
to be able to access it while traveling) one of the remediations was making
sure that all of my ssh private keys require passwords. A knowledgeable
attacker (or script writer) would know that ssh keys are usually located in
~/.ssh and often (usually?) unencrypted on home systems since people think
they're secure. It would be easy to attempt to access the other systems in
my network by simple enumeration of the network IP addresses (e.g., check
your network adapters and if you see 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 then try
10.0.0.1..10.0.0.255) and using the compromised username and ssh key.

Without checking I'm sure metasploit already knows this since it's so
obvious.

It's pain-free when you can get askpass or equivalent working (sigh), and
not *too* painful even if you have to reenter the password constantly. It's
definitely better than worrying whether an overlooked compromise has given
an attacker shell access to everything on your network.

The same logic applies to 'sudo'. Require passwords. A knowledgeable
attacker will know to try 'sudo'. At least the sudoers and sudoers.d
directory aren't world-readable to an attacker will leave a trace - they
can't check the files first to see if a user is authorized and if the
account requires a password unless they already have root access.