[lug] Mystery SSH diagnostic lines

Mike Witt msg2mw at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 11:36:16 MDT 2021

On 08/01/2021 10:34:12 AM, Bear Giles wrote:

> Pissed off anyone recently? Someone who could hack into your wife's
> computer, run a network scan, and then try to ssh into different
> systems?

This did occur to me, like a windows virus or something.  Can't see any
sign of anything like that. Plus, there are just those four lines. It
*seems* like I'd see more activity, attempts.  But I would certainly
feel more comfortable if I could find some explanation.

Everything is pretty well password protected ... except certain ssh
keys that are used by automated scripts that run overnight. But someone
would already need root access to the "important" machine to be able to
read root's .ssh files. Not sure what more to do about that.

I'm still not clear whether those four line mean that 10.0.0.8 is
trying to do something to my machine or that my machine is trying to do
something to 10.0.0.8.

-Mike