[lug] Happy 30th, Linux

John Hernandez jph at jph.net
Wed Aug 25 23:11:06 MDT 2021

One of the first useful things I can remember doing with Linux was building
a NAT router for a university lab in around 1997, using the recently added
IP MASQ kernel feature. That was Red Hat 4.0, or maybe 4.1.  I started
using Red Hat as a desktop OS around the time GNOME was first integrated
(was that in 1999?) and did that straight through Fedora 8 or 9.

I defected to Mac OSX 10.5 for desktop use and also began using Debian
4.0.  I can't recall exactly why I jumped off the RH/Fedora train but I
still find Debian to be ideal for my (mostly non-desktop) needs.