[lug] Happy 30th, Linux

Matt James matuse at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 11:32:54 MDT 2021

While I had exposure to Linux in the late 90's (I had a Sun UltraSpark 10
that was given to me and I set up in my basement and ran a website using
Apache on Solaris - I know not technically Linux, but close), I didn't
really start using it until the early 2000's.  My first real "use" was a
distro called IPCop and I used that as my firewall / router for many years
in both my home environment and in a business environment since it allowed
me to do many things that you couldn't do without going to (at the time)
cost prohibitive solutions.  As I moved on in my career and started working
with more industrial type applications that required as close to 100%
uptime as possible, I started working with RHEL / CentOS.  My first "real"
Linux desktop was Ubuntu on a HP Z420 workstation in the 2010's.

Matt