[lug] Happy 30th, Linux

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Aug 28 02:52:19 MDT 2021

Matt James said on Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:32:54 -0600

> My first real
>"use" was a distro called IPCop and I used that as my firewall /
>router for many years in both my home environment and in a business
>environment since it allowed me to do many things that you couldn't do
>without going to (at the time) cost prohibitive solutions.

I used IPCop too. Wonderful, wasn't it?

> As I moved
>on in my career and started working with more industrial type
>applications that required as close to 100% uptime as possible, I
>started working with RHEL / CentOS.  My first "real" Linux desktop was
>Ubuntu on a HP Z420 workstation in the 2010's.

I used Ubuntu for many years. Great hardware compatibility, easy to
use, and, as I learned more, I could get rid of more and more of the
training wheels.

I've used and loved Void Linux for the past six years, but it's too
close to the metal for the average user. I couldn't have gotten to the
point of using Void without everything I learned in Ubuntu.

SteveT

Steve Litt