[lug] Built In RAID\Cards?

chrism at pop.peakpeak.com chrism at pop.peakpeak.com
Sat Oct 2 05:56:37 MDT 1999

> Chris M wrote:
> >

> > If you buy something cheap don't say I didn't tell you not to :)  Software
> > RAID is not suitable for any high-availability applications IMHO, we did
> > play with it awhile though.  I'd use it on the desktop.
>
> I assume the reason for this is the difficulty in swapping drives without a
> disruption of service?
>
> 	Thanks!
>
> 	-- Alan Robertson

Yes, although there is a general lacking in the maturity of the RAID kernel
development IMHO.

I'm not saying it sucks, it just isn't suitable for applications where downtime
costs money (yet).

With our hardware RAID-5 arrays, cold spares are standing by in the cages, when
a drive fails the Vortex card brings another one up.  I don't see a mechanism
for this in the kernel RAID on Linux, and even if it were there, I think I
would rather trust an embedded controller that is devoting many MIPS to just
managing a SCSI bus and data throughput instead of relying on the main CPU
which has divided loyalties :)

Chris
Peak to Peak Internet

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                     888-600-PEAK