[lug] BLUG 99 CU Linux Installfest

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Mon Nov 8 16:06:47 MST 1999

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Jim Easter wrote:

> > I'd personally like to see some more demos of Linux being used for real
> > world applications.  How about:
> >

> >     Accounting/Finance - Is there anything that can substitute or replace
> >                          Quicken?
>
> 	Gnucash (http://www.gnucash.org/) is intended as a replacement for
> Quicken, and has impressive promise.  However, from my experience it is
> still too crash-prone for a demo.  Its predecessor, Xacc
> (http://GNUcash.org/xacc/), is pretty stable.  I now use CBB
> (http://www.menet.umn.edu/~curt/cbb/ ).  It is attractive, powerful,
> intuitive, well-documented, and written in Perl / Tcl / Tk   ( E-Z 'n fun to
> customize).

Would you consider talking with Glen Ashton <gfa at idiom.com> about doing a
demo of this (or these) programs?

> >     Business Software  - Spreadsheets, Wordprocessors, Business Databases
> >                          ApplixWare, Star Office
> >
> 	It is good  to see that LaTeX / LyX will be part of the show.  It
> will be worth mentioning that the central philosophy of a typesetting
> language is different / better than that of a WYSIWYG word processor; also
> (especially for this audience) that more theses and dissertations have been
> written in LaTeX than you could shake a stick at.

Hmmm ... perhaps I missed something since I didn't see anyone mentioning
that there would be a demo of LaTeX / LyX.  Who is doing this?  I agree
that someone should put this together though.

The list I sent out was NOT a list of things that Glen has demos for, but
rather a list of possible topics.

If any of you have the time and inclination to demo an application at the
show, let Glen Ashton <gfa at idiom.com> know so he can work you in.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)