[lug] CGI and APACHE 1.3.9 on RH 6.1

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Sat Nov 13 21:22:57 MST 1999

MauroMedia wrote:

> I looked through the httpd.conf file and uncommented everything that had
> to do with cgi or perl.
> I've looked in the /var/log/httpd/ and have read the suexec_log file.
> It keeps coming up with the some thing.
>  uid: (user/user) gid: (user/user) cmd: webc.cgi
>  command not in docroot (/home/user/cgi-bin/webc.cgi)
> Does anybody know what this means and do you have ideas on how to fix it.

Well, during my poking at at for 4 hours last night (part of that time on the
phone with Shannon), I determined that suexec wanted the nscom cgi-bin
directory to be within the /home/httpd/html directory.  Unfortunately, webc.cgi
doesn't work when you put it there - it just maxes out CPU usage.

We tried putting a tilde in front of the user name in the User directive (as
suggested in the official docs for suexec), but the httpsd program didn't like
that, saying "~nscom" was not a legitimate user.

I have one more thing for you to try.

I recompiled suexec again, with "docroot" set to "/home/nscom".  You could try
downloading that to see if it will allow webc.cgi to work.  If you want to do
this, then:

1) Log in to your system as root
2) Anonymous ftp to 12.10.239.3 (my work computer) - cd to /pub - get suexec -
exit ftp
3) cd /usr/sbin
4) mv suexec suexec.old       (keep the original one on hand)
5) cp ~/suexec .              (assuming you did ftp from root's home directory)
6) chmod u+x suexec           (make it executable)
7) chmod +s suexec            (make suexec setuid)
8) /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpsd reload  (make apache reload)

Now try the web link to see if it works.

Let me know if this works for you, OK?

Calvin

--
"Hey feller! I bet you're still living in your parents' cellar
Downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar

- "It's All About The Pentiums"