[lug] JAVA and Apache.

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Sun Aug 6 07:49:40 MDT 2000

On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 10:39:52PM -0400, John Starkey wrote:
> So how do you know if it's ok to upload a program to you web host's linux
> server??

What do you mean by 'uploading' a program. Are you talking
about Java Applets, which is just some datafile for the server
and therefore can't be harmfull for the server?
Or are you asking about servlets (i.e. Java Code that's executed
by the webserver process)? Your server admin would need to
set up the server so it can run servlets (which shouldn't be
a technical problem. I could imagine an admin getting slightly
nervous if you  share the system with other users/customers.
Often all server processes share the same user id and therefore
a buggy/insecure servlet could possibly affect other customers).

> Is this common? Or does it vary and I should ask the host? Should they say
> yes or suffer the demise of being sub-pro?

Sometimes being a little bit paranoid and 'conservative' might
be considered 'pro' (or should we say 'super-pro' :-)

 Ralf