[lug] LILO and Windows Safe Mode

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Nov 5 15:54:40 MST 2000

Mike McCallister wrote:

> Hi Folks!
>
> I'm running Corel/Debian and Win98 SE on the same physical hard drive. As per
> usual, Windows is acting strangely and will not completely boot (it loads the
> desktop and as the taskbar is supposed to load, it hangs). Unfortunately, I
> cannot get into safe mode to figure out what's hanging the process up. When
> LILO boots to Windows, it starts the normal Win98 boot process (i.e., the cloud
> screen comes up), and there's no way to get to the boot menu and/or safe mode.
> I've tried using the Win98 startup disk, but that was no help at all (surprise,
> surprise).
>
> At this point, I'm guessing I'll have to edit lilo.conf to add another boot
> point, but I don't know what to put there. Or is there another way to get to the
> Windows boot menu? Thanks for your help.
>
> --
>
> Mike McCallister                        ProTek Writing Services
> workingwriter at email.com         "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
> Phone: (303) 554-7533                   Fax: (248) 282-0532

I think it depends on which release of Win98. But as soon as any windows
tries to start booting, as early as possible, try either control F9 (I
think this is most common version to use) or just F5. Hold one of them
down the very moment you can. If you cannot figure things out after a
while, but if you can get to console mode only, try "scanreg /restore"
and use a prior registry setting.

Probably unless someone knows the arguments to a lilo load command of 98
to go to safe mode, you won't be able to add such a lilo option (at
least not one that does anything differently).