[lug] NFS Problems

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Nov 28 11:55:16 MST 2000

Hm..

Ok, I'm not much of an NFS guru (by far), but I have an NFS mount of a
RedHat 6.2 server to my Debian (Woody) laptop and it's not working too
well.

In /etc/fstab on the laptop:

server:/home/ftp/pub   /mnt/nfs        nfs     ro,bg,intr      0 0

It mounts just fine under /mnt/nfs and I can see the files.  However if
I go to that machine and try to start a large file copy with `cp
/mnt/nfs/bigiso.iso /home/nduehr/iso` about 3 megs of the file transfers
and then it stops and hangs there.

I thought by mounting with "intr" I would be able to hit Ctrl-C and
interrupt the mess -- but that doesn't work.  Neither does kill -9'ing
the cp.

On the server if I run nfsstat -s I see a single new "read" about once
every half second or so (the counter's going up by a single digit for
the "read" counter.

Server rpc stats:
calls      badcalls   badauth    badclnt    xdrcall
1818       0          0          0          0
Server nfs v2:
null       getattr    setattr    root       lookup     readlink
0       0% 11      0% 0       0% 0       0% 38      2% 0       0%
read       wrcache    write      create     remove     rename
1758   96% 0       0% 0       0% 0       0% 0       0% 0       0%
link       symlink    mkdir      rmdir      readdir    fsstat
0       0% 0       0% 0       0% 0       0% 10      0% 1       0%

Is the single "fsstat" count anything to worry about?

On the client side, I see quite a few retransmissions...  here's what it
looks like right now.  (It's sitting here hung in another terminal right
now.

Client rpc stats:
calls      retrans    authrefrsh
794        154        0
Client nfs v2:
null       getattr    setattr    root       lookup     readlink
0       0% 3       0% 0       0% 0       0% 6       0% 0       0%
read       wrcache    write      create     remove     rename
780    98% 0       0% 0       0% 0       0% 0       0% 0       0%
link       symlink    mkdir      rmdir      readdir    fsstat
0       0% 0       0% 0       0% 0       0% 5       0% 0       0%

Any NFS gurus have a minute to help out and/or any ideas on how to
debug/troubleshoot this?

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>