[lug] NFS Problems

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Nov 28 14:05:28 MST 2000

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Nate Duehr was reputed to have said:

> It mounts just fine under /mnt/nfs and I can see the files.  However if
> I go to that machine and try to start a large file copy with `cp
> /mnt/nfs/bigiso.iso /home/nduehr/iso` about 3 megs of the file transfers
> and then it stops and hangs there.

I'm not proclaiming myself an NFS guru (or any other type), but you don't
mention wherther you're using the kernel-based NFS or the one that runs in
user space.  That might make a difference.  Also, I have experienced
intermittent hangs when copying large files to/from a laptop in the past
(mostly ftp), but have attributed the problem to a pcmcia compatibility
anomoly on the laptop.  Have you ruled that out?