[lug] KDE 2.0 is great

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Dec 4 08:52:33 MST 2000

This is just an FYI ...
I have been using KDE 2.0 for a few weeks now and have to say it is an
awesome environment.  KDE 1.2 was worthwhile when GNOME and
Enlightenment ran too slowly.  Of course you could use a different
window manager to speed up GNOME - but KDE 1.2 was another "fix" for the
problem.  Now KDE 2 is really a nice choice for its great
functionality.  To date I didn't see KDE 2 hang or do anything bad.  It
even detected sound on my laptop and started up with all services on the
first try.  Things are very easy to configure - even for novice users.

This is not to say GNOME is bad - especially HELIX GNOME holds a lot of
promise for the future.  But if you want a choice for another SSL
enabled browser besides Netscape and you would like to check out a
really nice graphical user environment then give KDE 2 a try.  The
binary rpms are available for RedHat and the other major distributions.
So the installation boils down to a few rpm commands.  Since KDE 2 uses
openssl you need to install the latest updates from the RedHat site if
you are running RH 6.x  - or just get a recent KRUD CD and do a system
upgrade.

Please view this message as informational for users who are interested
in KDE 2 and not sure if trying to install it would be worth their
while.  My intent is not to convince GNOME users to switch to KDE or to
spur a discussion over which environment is better.  They both are
great!

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid