[lug] Apache / httpd..

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Mon Jan 15 15:31:02 MST 2001

> httpd: cannot determine local host name.
> Use the ServerName directive to set it manually.

Somewhere around line 279 look for the ServerName directive in
$APACHE_ROOT/conf/httpd.conf. Just add:

ServerName yer_server_name_here

Make sure it's not commented out, and kill -HUP apache. You should be good
to go.

> I checked, and it is true that upon installation the Apache .rpm was
> installed correctly.  Another thing I checked was the httpd conf files
> (/etc/httpd/conf/ httpd.conf, srm.conf, access.conf) and they all seem to be
> there and in correct form.

srm and access are only there for backwards compatibilty, they recommend
you use httpd.conf.

You said you were using /usr/sbin/http. Apache supplies a script to start
httpd. It should be $APACHE_ROOT/bin/apachectl and uses start, restart,
and stop.

John