[lug] logging to linux

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 31 10:26:55 MST 2001

As with everything Unix, I can think of a few ways to skin the cat.

1) Change the facility on your Cisco boxes to local6 or similar unused
facility

2) Research the priority at which cisco logs, versus the boot sequence.
You may be able to effectively seperate them using operators like = and
! in the priority part of the selector field.  See syslog.conf(5) manual
pages.

3) Write a perl script to separate them, and create a named pipe, as
mentioned by a previous poster.

Cheers.

charles at lunarmedia.net wrote:

> this works very well. the only question i have is that my /etc/syslog.conf
> already has a local7.* entry and appears to log to boot.log
>
> # Save boot messages also to boot.log
> #local7.*                                               /var/log/boot.log
> local7.*                                                /var/log/cisco
>
> i've commented it out to test the cisco logging, however is there a
> manner in which i can keep both logging to their own serparate log file?
>
> thanks -cjm
>
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 04:44:47PM -0700, John Hernandez wrote:
> > >In /etc/syslog.conf, we use a line like:
> > >local7.*                                     /var/log/cisco
> >
> > Before you do that, you have to enable the syslog on Linux to listen for
> > log requests on the network.  See the man page for syslogd for information
> > on what that argument is.
> >
> > Sean

John Hernandez, Network Engineer --------------------------------------
US Department of Commerce                             tel: 303-497-6392
NOAA/OAR - Mailstop R/OM12                            fax: 303-497-6005
325 Broadway                            e-mail: John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Boulder, CO 80303                               http://boulder.noaa.gov