[lug] Gnome problem

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Wed Feb 7 12:57:01 MST 2001

Liz> On the laptop, the ~/.gnome/session file currently references
Liz> *both* sawmill and enlightenment.  Sawmill was supposedly the
Liz> default (according to the Gnome Control Center).  I switched from
Liz> Sawmill to Enlightenment and the ~/.gnome/session file *still*
Liz> references both window managers.  Running save-session in an
Liz> xterm made no difference.

That's interesting.

Each record in .gnome/session should have a value for
`RestartStyleHint'.  What is the value for enlightenment?

One possibility here is that your laptop's version of enlightenment is
using a `restart anyway' value for the restart style.  What this means
is that it is telling the session manager that it should be restarted
for the new session regardless of whether it was running or not at the
time the session was saved.  (This feature is legitimately used by
programs that configure your desktop when you log in.)

One way to get rid of enlightenment would be to hand edit
.gnome/session.  This is a PITA, particularly if you have a lot of
programs listed.

Using `rpm -e' on the enlightenment package might work.  I forget what
the session manager does if it can't find a program it wants.  It
certainly shouldn't die, though.

Tom