[lug] best places to put builds?

Riggs, Robert RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Tue Mar 20 22:34:52 MST 2001

It sounds like you may have a couple of problems here. First off, it
sounds like you don't have all of the RH7 packages installed that you
need. ncurses4-5.0-2, readline2.2.1-2.2.1-2 are the RH7 packages that
you need for these libraries. Secondly, you probably have a Python2
RPM compiled for either an older RH version, or another RPM based
distribution, since the current development readline version for RH7
is readline-devel-4.1-5. (I could easily be wrong on this second point,
but it would be strange to link against older libraries, unless there
is a backwards compatibility issue.)

See if there is a Python2 package specifically for RH7.

But, to answer your question, generally /usr/local/src is the best
place for source packages (and allow them to install in the /usr/local
hierarchy). However, I would strongly recommend that you refrain from
installing from source tarballs whenever possible on RPM systems. It
makes system administration a nightmare after a while. And debugging
problems becomes really difficult when you don't know if you are

You can almost always find the appropriate RPMs if you look hard enough.

-Rob