[lug] AT&T CABLE MODEM

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon May 14 12:01:03 MDT 2001

It seems easier for beginners to use the configuration tool rather than editing
configuration files.  If you do so then you need to make sure that you execute
/sbin/SuSEconfig after making your changes.  Otherwise your configuration
changes will get overwritten the next time you run Yast.  SuSEconfig will also
restart the relevant services.
After editing configuration files for years on RedHat systems I started using
those configuration tools again.  One major convinience of those tools is that
they install packages that you may need to do what you want to do.  If in this
case the dhcp client isn't installed then you won't have luck by just modifying
ifcfg-eth0.

This is of course just my opinion and by no means expert advice.

Ferdinand