[lug] talking to a 10.x.x.x box

McIllece mcillece at elbonia.ast.lmco.com
Tue Jun 12 12:54:16 MDT 2001

>On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 12:42:47AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>>Maybe if he did a traceroute to your machine, the first address after
>>the 10.x.x.x non-routable would be the gateway/dsl hardware.
>
>That'll only show you the address on the DSL hardware's ethernet interface,
>which is probably 10.0.0.1.  Not very helpful...  Connecting to the router
>and asking it, or simply connecting to the friends machine and checking the
>logs for the IP should work.

Sean,

I'm hoping that my friend got the router password from the technician, but if he
didn't I guess we can't go the route of telnet'ing in or using the serial port,
no?

I think the Cisco 678 has only one Ethernet output and so my friend wouldn't be
able to plug in a 2nd computer to the router.  If he put a 2nd network card in
his computer and connected to that with a 2nd computer, would an externally
usable ip address show up in the logs?  Wouldn't he need the ip address already
in order to make the connection in the first place?  I guess I'm not sure what
you suggested.

Matt