[lug] Weird directory in users home dir

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Tue Jun 19 12:31:11 MDT 2001

I ran across this oddity while searching for a suspected cracker on my
shell server. The users home directory has a directory / in it which if
cd'd to will go to the root directory. It is not a link or anything,
but it looks like it might have a space or two in front of it. I'm
afraid to delete this directory or the users account directory in case
it has been booby trapped somehow. Any ideas?
------------------------
[root at oldschool long]# pwd
/home/long

[root at oldschool long]# ls
  /  README.jackmoves@  ftp@  mail/    #you can see the / dir here

[root at oldschool long]# ls -l
total 8
drwxr--r--   3 556      users        4096 Jun 16 19:28   /   #again
lrwxrwxrwx   1 556      users          28 May 15 14:36
README.jackmoves -> /home/httpd/README.jackmoves
lrwxrwxrwx   1 556      users          13 May 15 14:36 ftp -
> /home/ftp/pub/
drwx------   2 556      users        4096 May 15 14:36 mail/

[root at oldschool long]# ls -a
  /  ../           .bash_profile  .screenrc          ftp@
./   .bash_logout  .bashrc        README.jackmoves@  mail/

[root at oldschool long]# cd    #i typed cd (tab) to list my dir options
                  .bash_profile     .screenrc         ftp
.bash_logout      .bashrc           README.jackmoves  mail
#wierd thing above is that the dir showed as just spaces???

Could they have just touched this file named / and made it appear like
something bad? Thanks for any ideas...

Justin

-----
glow at jackmoves.com