[lug] LFS "Linux From Scratch"

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Aug 9 13:02:48 MDT 2001

* Brian R. Stamper (brianstamper at smartsbroadcast.com) wrote:
> I'm currently working on a LFS system.  Up to the point where I install
> the Glibc.  When trying to configure I get the error:
> bash:  ../glibc-2.2.1/configure: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
> I know the configure file is there.  Anyone have any ideas it would
> be greatly appreciated.

It would seem that whatever interpreter the configure file is trying
to call is not there.  Open that file (../glibc-2.2.1/configure) and see
what the very first line says.  Vi or emacs or whatever will open it, it
should just be text shell script.

It should be something like:
#!/bin/sh

That line is the magic number that tells bash what interpreter to run this
text-file/script through.  Eg, is it a shell script (/bin/sh), a bash
script (/bin/bash), a perl script (/usr/bin/perl).  Whatever is being
pointed to there is not being found.

Are you in the static environment of LFS, or the Chrooted environment?
If you are still building the statically linked stuff, then something
is probably awry on your build system.  If you have already built the
static binaries, and are running in the new chrooted LFS system, then
you probably forgot a step when installing bash.  Does /bin/sh exist? It
should be a symling to /bin/bash.  I think the configure script is just
a Bourne shell script.

Let us know what you find.

Tim

PS -> I have succesfully built a LFS system before.  It is pretty cool,
and a great learning experience.  I eventually decided not to use it,
though, as I could not live with out a package manager.  So I am currently
mulling over starting a little project of my own, Debian from Scratch. ;-)