[lug] looking for TeX viewer/print

David dajo at frii.com
Tue Aug 28 07:23:41 MDT 2001

> > I have just looked in a 1993 LaTeX book that recommends changing from
> > \documentstyle to \documentclass 8-)
>
> Just to experiment, I modifed it to change from documentstyle to
> documentclass, and it died. There might be other changes that have to
> accompany going to documentclass syntax, but my RH 7.1 latex is unable
> to handle it with just documentclass. My version:

How did it die?  My recollection is that the change from docstyle to
docclass was wonderfully simple, but there wre one or two things to
do.  If I see what happened I might be able to help.  I reiterate:
style files are years out of date, and you will not be able to use newer
stuff.  BTW res.cls is a class file, not a style file.

> > to handle it with just documentclass. My version:
> > latex --version
> TeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159
> kpathsea version 3.3.1
> Copyright (C) 1999 D.E. Knuth.
>
> Interesting version.
The pi does not tell you anything, it has been that way for years.
Here is what I get when I call latex, notice the LaTeX2e.

latex top-level.tex
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
(top-level.tex
LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1
Babel <v3.6Z> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german, ngerman, i
talian, portuges, russian, spanish, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 1999/09/10 v1.4a Standard LaTeX document class

> I will go through the items below and see if I can figure out where it
> is on my local system so I can add new items for global use.

That directory is all my personal stuff, if it is on your system that
will be very interesting 8-)

dajo