[lug] C++ libraries in Linux

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Sep 16 09:54:02 MDT 2001

Kelly Brock wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> > > For books, you probably want Stroustrup (he wrote C++,
> > you'll know it
> > > when you see it), plus something on STL and one
> > specifically titled "The
> > > Standard C++ Library" (by Plaugner).
> > >
> > > D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com
> > >

> > Hmmm.  A search of amazon says that Plaugner wrote an STL
> > book, "The C++
> > Standard Template Library".  Is that the book you meant?
> > There is another
> > book, "The C++ Standard Library" by Josuttis, which seem to
> > be broader.  Did
> > you mean to get the STL book by Plaugner, and the Josuttis book?
>
>         Personal suggestion, DO NOT GET THE PLAUGNER book.  Did I capitalize
> enough?  Definately get the Josuttis book, I have it and love it.  Plaugner
> wrote the STL included with MSVC, do I need to say anything else about his
> quality?  Don't get me wrong, Plaugner is probably a hell of a programmer,
> you just can't tell by his implementation of STL that's supplied with VC.
> It's crap and few people will argue it.

I must say you have really insulted this guy...linking him to
MSVC...ouch. Well, the book on the "draft" standard (not STL) is just a
more english description of current and expected future standards on
C++. It isn't really anything but a reference. The STL is not the one I
gave a reference to (the ISBN number I gave is literally a reference on
the draft of the standards). But if the guy wrote VC's template stuff,
you definitely want something else for the template end. STL in general
is so incredibly useful that no matter what you get, you want something
that also specializes in STL. I have a couple of different STL
references, but they're all pretty much the same. The main difference
I've seen among STL is whether they cover string classes.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com