[lug] windows on windows for linux?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Mar 24 13:30:39 MST 2002

On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 05:42, Chan Kar Heng wrote:
> greetings.
>
> would anyone know of something that might be equivalent
> to WOW64 (windows on windows 64) layer for linux?
> or maybe the approach taken for migration to 64 bit
> platform for linux?

The Linux (and Unix) 32 -=> 64 bit porting procedure is often quite
easy.  Its called a recompile.  Honestly.  For many user-space codes,
its *that* simple.

I've developed C/C++ apps (mostly, scientific computing) on 32bit x86
systems and then recompiled them to run on, for example, 64-bit Alpha-
Linux, AIX, and Solaris boxen.  A recompile was it.  No porting, no
tweaking, nada.  As long as your code intelligently handles the size of
ints/pointers/etc (and there are headers/libs to assist with this) then
theres no need for a binary compatibility layer.  Your source code,
compiler, and libraries *ARE* the compatibility layer.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD