[lug] Re: [CLUE-Talk] Seeking recommendations for computer builder

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Wed May 15 14:49:30 MDT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Sean Reifschneider said:

> Based on most of my experience with "clone builders", I'd have to say that
> if you really mean "good quality", that you should look at IBM, Dell, one
> of those sorts...  They really put together some pretty sweet hardware, if
> things like adequate case aerodynamics and quality of chassis setup is
> important.  Plus their other parts tend to be good quality as well.

Good point.  Also applies to laptops, perhaps more so, as the cases tend
to have less vacuous internal space.  As a case in point, after purchasing
a Compaq Presario 1600 series in 1999, within three months the CDROM was
damaged from heat exposure inside the case.  The mechanism for heat
dissipation is a block attached to an aluminum plane above, which covers
about 75% of the area of the machine.  The block contacts the uP, and the
plane is the heat sink fin; but it traps the heat inside, with no outside
venting, only the fan to bring air in.  There is virtually no internal air
flow, as there is no exhaust vent.

The Dell in contrast, has a metal mass attached to the uP, and an attached
copper tube which goes to the rear and has a radiator-like array of thin
vertical plates, with a vent above and two fans directly to the rear.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net