[lug] WINE

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Sep 8 14:08:09 MDT 2002

* Drew Lane (drewlane at qwest.net) wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me there
> experiences with WINE?  Does it work well?
>
> Seems like a great way to transition to Linux...
>
> Is it part of the RH 7.2 install?

I don't use it very often, as I have mostly ditched all things Windows.
Every once in a while I do, though.  I have a differential equations
book that comes with a collection of simple, mathematical solving and
plotting software for Windows.  It all runs off the cd with Wine, no
problems.  A have also used it to extract self-extracting Windows
executables to get at binary files I needed.  The more complex the
program, the more likely it is to fail.

One important note: I do not have a native Windows parition on my
machine.  Therefore, Wine has to emulate all of the DLLs it might need.
Some it can not.  However, if you have a dual boot machine, you can tell
Wine where the real Windows system directory is, it will look there if
it can not provide a given DLL that a program wants.  This supposedly
makes a big difference in success rates.

Give it a try.  Not everything works, but you don't have a heck of a lot
to lose.  I don't know if it installed on RedHat by default, but you can
get it easily.

Tim