[lug] Typesetting Programs

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Thu Dec 12 13:30:21 MST 2002

Assuming you want to create/edit the document in Vim...

LaTeX works great for this, although there is definitely a learning curve.
I have found that I can create professional-looking documents with a
minimum of effort (much better looking with far less effort than with a
word processor).  There are several tools that can generate PDF from LaTeX
(pdflatex, dvipdfm, etc.).  There is also at least one tool (whose name
eludes me) that will generate HTML--the result looks like most HOWTOs.

One could always use LyX(sp?) until they are comfortable hacking(?)
a LaTeX document.

The only thing that has frustrated me about LaTeX is the inability to go
from it to an M$ Word-compatible format, but you don't appear to be
concerned about that.

-d

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 at 13:01 -0700, David Morris soliloquized thusly:

--
"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish
we didn't." Erica Jong (b. 1942); US author