[lug] Gnome-RPM

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 10 08:26:46 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 07:30, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2003 09:25 pm, The Matt wrote:
> >
> > And, of course:
> >
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get upgrade
> > &c.
> >
> > Frankly, I can't stand Redhat without APT.  Especially if you play
> > around in Rawhide.  It is dependency hell in Rawhide and only apt makes
> > it sane.
>
> Have you been able to apt-get KDE 3.1, yet?  I keep getting unresolved
> dependencies.  (I don't to rawhide, just the standard 8.0 releases).

As far as I know, you can't.  I kept trying and gave up (there could be
an APT source out there that can do it?).  I then added Rawhide to my
sources and apt exploded with 2 pages of dependencies.  The reason is
that rpm is upgraded, and so breaks apt, and I have Gnome as well.  But,
I think it will upgrade with Rawhide.

If you want to try KDE 3.1 and stay with Red Hat, I suggest Phoebe3--the
8.0.94 beta--and the Phoebe APT.  Frankly, I like it MUCH better.  The
menus are now comprehendible by humanity, and I haven't noticed any
instability[1].  But, I don't run any servers, &c. on my home box and
there could be nasty bugs there, so YMMV.

Matt

[1] Except: never change your mouse pointer, you can't revert it.
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good