[lug] [OT] (X)emacs mode for xslt?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Mar 12 11:43:06 MST 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:00:12AM -0700, Scott Herod wrote:
> [...]
> I'm actually using both the Java and C++ version of Xalan to do the
> transformations.  While I am doing some webpage generation with xslt, I'm
> having the most fun with it for C++ and Java source code generation.
> (The project that I'm working on uses XML for IPC messages as well as
> internally for data structures.)

That's the point where i'm tempted to get on my soapbox and rant about
abuse of _markup_ language -- there are far more effective ways to
share data over the wire ... ;-)

> I've not checked xsltproc (either the CLI version that Ralf mentioned or
> the xemacs mode since that says it is not an editor).  To by honest, I
> find the Java version of Xalan nice to run for my testing but editing the
> xslt files is so painful in xml-mode that I usually just use vim.

? Xslide together with psgml-mode make for a pretty impressive XML
editor (that's the one thing i can still impress the folks at my
customers office with - open up a new document in emacs and as soon
as i type in the document type declaration it magically fills in
a template of the mandatory tags. Enter a tag and hit the tab key
and it either fill in another skeleton or offers a menu of possible
elements. The speed you can gain (esp. if you work with a limited
set of DTDs and create some keyboard shortcuts for common tags) is
very impressive -- leaves all those xml-spy users crying :-)
I found emacs the only bearable way to deal with  DTDs like Docbook
et al.

 Ralf