[lug] Scrolling in KDE

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri May 16 11:16:25 MDT 2003

On Friday 16 May 2003 10:47 am, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Typically in X, holding down the left and right buttons together
> emulates a third (middle) button on the mouse.  I think the option in
> XFConfig86 is something like "Emulate3Buttons", and it's usually
> something you can select during your Linux install.

My mistake.  It's actually done by holding the left and middle buttons down.
I'm trying out a 3M Renaissance mouse, and it's not obvious which button is
which any more!

> Anyway, some apps will use the middle button for scrolling.  Are you
> seeing this behavior with ALL applications, or just a few (like xterm)?

It seems to be in all apps.  I've tested KMail, Galeon, so perhaps it's not
KDE-specific.  After a closer look, it seems to have the same effect as using
the Up and Down arrow keys with the shift key depressed.

I'm still searching for how to lock it in.  I know I've done it before, but
maybe it was a bug rather than a feature.