[lug] Gmane?

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Wed Apr 21 18:40:36 MDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 04:39:03PM -0600, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> Someone just sent me a suggestion which seems fair to relay on to the
> list for opinions before making a decision on it.
>
> It's been proposed that we set up a Gmane mirror for the BLUG mailing
> list.  Have a look at http://gmane.org/ to figure out what this could
> do for us.
>
> In short, it would provide a mail-to-news gateway and web archive for
> our lists.  It'd replace our existing web archive of the mailing list,
> which might or might not be a bad thing depending on how you feel
> about it.  We can make the gateway unidirectional so that people still
> have to be subscribed to the lists through Mailman on our server to
> post to them.  Addresses in messages archived on Gmane can be
> obfuscated so that spammers can't get them easily.
>
> I don't have much of an opinion on this yet.  I'd like to hear
> arguments pro/con first.  Got any?

I believe that Debian lists are connected to Gmane, and that many Debian
regulars use gmane as their primary access method. But I read on the
Debian lists that certain viruses collect email addresses from gmane
or similar, and use them in the from: field of virus sores. I can't vouch
for the truth of this claim, but I can see that it is technically possible
for a virus to do such collection.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net