[lug] KGDB and 2.6 {no filter}

Ian S. Nelson nelsonis at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 6 07:05:23 MDT 2004

You need to have the exact same code on both sides,  with symbols on the
debugger side.   Is this an embedded device?   If so, you load it up
like you normally do with an ICE or flash burner or whatever, that's
your kernel and driver with the kdgb stub in it.  Then on your dev
machine where you built it or test it from you need that same kernel
with symbols; I mean exactly the same do the full 5 minute build every
time if there is any doubt.

GDB doesn't run on the device you're debugging, that computer just
single steps and reports register information back to the dev machine
which is where GDB interprets the values in from the registers, reads
the debug symbols and then displays the source code that the machine is
running.

Ian

--

*Ian S. Nelson