[lug] KGDB and 2.6 {no filter}

Rodger.Wilson at Emulex.Com Rodger.Wilson at Emulex.Com
Fri Aug 6 10:20:54 MDT 2004

I am aware of all of this, the problems that I have been having are with the kernels in general, not booting and stuff.  Ctrl-c not breaking into the kernel.  And the old way of symbol extraction is not supported, and I cant get the new way to work.  I guess it is supposed to be easier, but it just isn't working.

Rodger Wilson
Senior engineer - Emulex
720-394-7275 (cell)
720-494-2488 (work)

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces at lug.boulder.co.us [mailto:lug-bounces at lug.boulder.co.us]On Behalf Of Ian S. Nelson
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 7:05 AM
To: Boulder (Colorado) Linux Users Group -- General Mailing List
Subject: Re: [lug] KGDB and 2.6 {no filter}

You need to have the exact same code on both sides,  with symbols on the debugger side.   Is this an embedded device?   If so, you load it up like you normally do with an ICE or flash burner or whatever, that's your kernel and driver with the kdgb stub in it.  Then on your dev machine where you built it or test it from you need that same kernel with symbols; I mean exactly the same do the full 5 minute build every time if there is any doubt.

GDB doesn't run on the device you're debugging, that computer just single steps and reports register information back to the dev machine which is where GDB interprets the values in from the registers, reads the debug symbols and then displays the source code that the machine is running.

Ian

Rodger.Wilson at Emulex.Com wrote:
I have used KGDB on 2.4 kernels a lot however I have failed to ever get it working with 2.6.  Once I was really close but failed to get the symbol table from my driver, then this week I couldn't even break into the kernel.

If you have a working 2.6 KGDB kernel I would love to get a tar file from you and maybe a 5 min tutorial on how to get the symbol table across to GDB.

Rodger Wilson
Senior engineer - Emulex
720-394-7275 (cell)
720-494-2488 (work)