[lug] Dual Boot with XP

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 12:08:18 MST 2005

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:58:28 -0500, Gordon Golding
<gordongoldin at netscape.net> wrote:

> We've setting up an empty PC with XP and Redhat Enterprise Workstation edition.
>
> Any DO's !! or DON'Ts  !!!
> I remember in the past it seemed one HAD to do Windows first AND have the Disk pre-partitioned.
>
> What's the best way to do this?
>
> --
> Gordon Golding

With grub (and probably lilo) the windows partition does not have to
be hdx1. You can use grub parameters to trick windows into believing
it is partition 1.

If you want to transfer data between linux and windows, I recommend
that you setup a small vfat partition in addition to your windows C:
partition that can be written from either os. Linux can't write
reliably to an NTFS partition.

Also, if you don't install windows first, windows will overwrite the
mbr, so you'll have to boot from a recovery cd to reenable grub/lilo.

That's all the gotchas I can think of.

--
 Collins