[lug] Problem with wget

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Fri Nov 4 17:36:24 MST 2005

* On 2005-11-04 17:14 Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use wget to retrieve all the tgr*.zip  that are behind the
> named US states links on the bottom of this page at the Census Bureau:
> http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tiger2004se/tgr2004se.html. But wget
> has a baffling array of switches and I'm not hitting on the right
> combination. I'm getting everything BUT those files it seems.
>
> Does anyone know if wget can even do this and if so, what command-line
> switches I need to use?

To recursively retrieve all the files in the colorado directory, with a
limit on BW, and a random wait between retrieving files, logging to
'logfile':
   wget -nc --progress=bar --limit-rate=20k --random-wait -nd --recursive
   -l 1  -o logfile http://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/tiger2004se/CO

                            http://www.tummy.com/